How can we encourage the creation of new affordable homes?
New homes are being built in Frome. But are they enough, and are they the type of housing that the town and its people need?
This meeting discussed:
- How much new-build has been allocated for Frome?
- Where is the house-building happening, and where is it planned?
- How does the system work – and how much influence can Frome Town Council and local people have?
- How many of the new homes are social housing? How many are genuinely affordable – for example, for young people who have grown up in Frome and would like to stay here?
- What role can councils and housing associations have in developing homes for social rent?
We heard from Jane Llewelyn about the planning process, from Paul Walsh about Housing Associations and, in particular, about Selwood Housing Association and from Ian Crawley about Community Land Trusts and explored what we can learn from successful initiatives elsewhere in the country. The presentations they gave and the information sheets are on our resources page.