Fair Housing for Frome (FHfF) is a grassroots organisation that began in November 2015 when a group of local people met to discuss the housing crisis in our town. Its objective is to support the provision of decent, secure, affordable and accessible accommodation in Frome for local people on low incomes who are being squeezed out by rising prices, stagnating wages and profit-led developments and practices. FHfF wants to be an example of how local volunteer-led activism can create a positive can-do attitude and enable a rural town to maintain a diverse and vibrant community despite local and national socio-economic pressures.
We are grateful to have secured funding from the Tudor Trust and from Frome Town Council to appoint development workers whose job is to implement some of these ideas. We have developed a 12 point plan of achievable goals (see below).
On April 30th we will be launching this new phase with a celebratory meeting from 6:30-8:30 in Frome Town Hall. If you have issues to raise, want to help or just want to stay informed, please come. There will be cake!
OUR PLAN FOR 2018-2020 IS IN THREE SECTIONS:
- Publicise the services that already exist and how to access them
- Identify and fill gaps eg a housing advocate scheme for families at risk
- Campaign for affordable units within new housing developments
- Continue raising awareness and developing housing literacy in the town
Enhancing the private rented sector
- Establish a Fair Landlords club
- Set up and support a tenants association
- Promote lodging, including a Homeshare and SharedLives scheme
- Explore how to improve practice among local letting agents
Supporting tiny homes and other highly affordable solutions
- Carry out a Citizens Land Audit to identify short-term and long-term sites
- Secure support from the three tiers of local government (Somerset, Mendip, Frome)
- Showcase good practice eg by hosting a tiny homes summit
- Set up a Community Land Trust and explore funding possibilities eg a local investment scheme
How to get involved :
- Sign up to our mailing list
- Join the conversation on Social Media
- Join more detailed discussions in our forum